Wednesday 16 September 2015

The danger of real books

I am, and always be, a huge fan of a real book, one with pages and everything. I had a Kindle, I sold it because I could just never get into books; I have an Audible account which I will probably just use for Harry Potter, as once again, I really struggle with listening to audiobooks, and who doesn't know the plot of Harry Potter backwards by now? Plus, Stephen Fry - need I say more?

There are, however, some occasions where carrying a real book around with you ends up destroying your mind. I'm not talking about having to actually carry books around with you, I don't mind that, I tend to carry two everywhere just in case I finish one.

I now refer you to an event that happened on Monday. I was walking to work, and it was a typical British day; one second the skies were blue, the next the heavens opened. Thankfully, living in the UK makes you carry an umbrella everywhere with you, no matter the weather when you leave the house, so I thought all would be fine and dandy. That was not the case. By the time I got to work, the bag was absolutely soaked, and as I discovered, not waterproof. What, I ask you, is the point of a backpack that does not protect your stuff from rain in a country that rains constantly?? So I teach into the bag, dreading the worst, and pull out a soggy mess of pages. The book itself was intact, but the corners got absolutely drenched and the cover started peeling. To make things worse, this was Seraphina; a book I bought a couple of weeks ago with my birthday money.

I guess the moral of this story is to ALWAYS make sure your bag is waterproof before carrying a book in it, or I guess, take a Kindle. My iPad is fine, but my poor book will never be the same again, if it is even readable. I guess you'll find the answer to that in my wrap up.

I know I'm leaving you all hanging with my news, and by the time I announce it you will probably have lost interest, but I hope I will be able to tell you all by the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment