Friday 11 September 2015

Ink & Bone review

Title: Ink & Bone
Series: The Great Library
Author: Rachel Caine
Rating: 4*
Goodreads description: Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.

In a world where the ancient Great Library of Alexandria was never destroyed, knowledge now rules the world: freely available, but strictly controlled. Owning private books is a crime.

Jess Brightwell is the son of a black market smuggler, sent to the Library to compete for a position as a scholar... but even as he forms friendships and finds his true gifts, he begins to unearth the dark secrets of the greatest, most revered institution in the world.

Those who control the Great Library believe that knowledge is more valuable than any human life - and soon both heretics and boooks will burn...

My thoughts

I really enjoyed this book, I flew through it as quickly as I could, and it didn't seem like any time at all had passed. I started it on a bus, and got slightly confused when I found out I'd reached my destination.

This is basically a book about how amazing books are, and how much they need protection. The storyline itself was a little confusing at points, and could have done with more world building. I know there's a war going on between the English and Welsh, but I have no idea why - for once I'm sure the bad feelings between the two countries have nothing to do with rugby, but you never know. I also found some parts about how the books are kept confusing as well. I'm still not overly sure what the blanks actually were, I guess kind of like a Kindle but I dunno.

The characters were all pretty interesting. The main character, Jess, may have a girls name, but was pretty badass at points, at others, however, he just rolled over and took all the bad stuff that was going on. I liked the romance, especial one that wasn't actually stated outright but was hinted towards, sometimes quite heavily. The sass in that one had me laughing out loud at points, they had such great banter, and I do love a bit of banter.

Overall I found this book really good. The only reason I didn't get 5 stars from me was the fact that I did spend some of the time not really knowing what was going on. I will definitely buy the next book in the series. It might not have ended up on a cliffhanger, but I still want more from this world. Hopefully the end will be a little less sad on the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment